However, since I started college, cinema gradually fell out of favor. The nearest one was still quite far from my college and I had no transport to go there. In addition, as a student I didn't have much $$ to go to cinema every week (in Bangkok it cost 120 Baht [about RM12] per ticket a few years back, I could buy a few meals with that $$). Instead of going to the cinema, I borrowed DVDs from friends and watched them in my room.
After I started working and earned $$, I still didn't feel like going to cinema. I came to Ipoh 3 years ago and haven't gone to any of the cinemas here. I still enjoyed watching movie, but not in the cinema anymore. I prefer to do it at home. A few reasons:
- In cinema you can't pause the movie & go to the restroom. Plus, the air-con is usually cold in there, and holding urine can be a torture. You have to decide whether you wanna visit the loo and miss the important scenes, or hold your urine and take the risk of getting urinary tract infection.
- The air-con is too cold (even if the cinema is crowded) and you can't bring your pillow & blanket (or stuffed toys).
- You have to sit upright; you can't lie down or sit in other positions that you like.
- There are people who go to the restroom halfway through the movie and they are very likely to block your view.
- There are too many advertisements. By the the time the movie starts, your popcorns/snacks are almost finished.
- You can't bring outside food; you have to spend more $$ to get the same snacks at the cinema. And you can't bring Char Kuey Teow/Fillet-O-Fish/Popiah/etc.
- You can't choose the time you like. You have to stick to the cinema's schedule.
- You can't comment loudly because it might disturb other people (you also wouldn't like it if others are talking loudly in the cinema).